What’s your backup?

This is my storage. 7.5 terabytes on RAID 5. I have 2 more terabytes upstairs. Nowadays, I wouldn’t be surprised if the next guy has more or twice the amount I have. These are two Thecus N5200 NAS on a gigabit connection. It’s fast. I strongly recommend anyone who doesn’t have external storage backups for your important documents and photos to invest in one. They can be bought for even under $100 for the basic models, which is nothing compared to the cost of data recovery services when you lose years of your personal photos from your desktop or laptop, which is a matter of time, not if. You can start by checking out Seagate FreeAgent which I recommended to a computer illiterate co-worker of mine, and she loved how easy it was with the included software. I use Vice Versa Pro to schedule automatic synchronization and backup of all photos from my desktop on a nightly basis. Even with this reliable storage, I don’t feel 100% at ease. I plan on buying more external drives, backing up everything, and storing them in a safe.

Please share any methods you have on backing up your most important documents.

12 Comments What’s your backup?

1. Chung Nguyen October 2, 2008 at 2:25 am

Back-up. What’s that? And what’s a terabyte?

I have a sad little external hard-drive (newb) and try to upload all the final images so even if my house burns down, it’s online somewhere.

2. Patrick Binder October 2, 2008 at 3:51 am

I am about a day away from purchasing this: http://is.gd/3pU5 (Smartstor 4-BAY NAS with Sata RAID5) and some terrabyte hard drives. The Thecus boxes look nice (5 bays instead of 4), but that costs $300 more. It has more features, but those features don’t matter to me.

Now I am hung up on which hard drives to buy. I will also need to upgrade my ethernet card to a Gigabit one.

3. kat October 2, 2008 at 10:23 am

9.5 terabytes is O_O…

4. Tony Yang October 2, 2008 at 4:16 pm

Online backup is another great method I forgot to mention. I currently have 260gb of photos uploaded on Fotki. Honestly I don’t use most of the features on the Thecus either, one main reason for the purchase was the speed and recommendation from my brother who has one too.

5. chessyang October 3, 2008 at 7:53 pm

nice.. i keep it simple w/ DriveimageXML or windows backup. bat files FTW. Nexstar3 via usb/esata encloses.

6. owbert October 4, 2008 at 10:44 am

that is some serious shit. i drooled a bit as a geek. i think what you need is an automatic dvd burner and software that goes through all your stuff and backs it up onto hard disk media. and you can change the format as dvds are replaced.

7. owbert October 4, 2008 at 10:47 am

oh, and my situation is prayer.

8. Alan Kong October 6, 2008 at 3:07 pm

Hope you have another form of offsite backup too. Everyone keeps talking about RAID as a back up solution, but it was never intended to be used that way. A malfunctioning controller and all that data is still hosed, you’ll just have a redundant copies of bad data. Not to mention non-technical things like break-ins or some type of disaster like a fire…

9. Sherry October 6, 2008 at 3:17 pm

I tagged you to play “6 random things about me”! 🙂 See my most recent post for instructions.

10. brian October 12, 2008 at 4:29 am

Tony you’re my inspiration, keep doing what you do best

11. Andrew October 14, 2008 at 4:18 pm

Is that a D-Link DIR-655? You know there’s a new firmware out now that you can update and use the USB port on it to connect any USB device and share it with the computers on the network.

Only drawback is that only 1 pc/mac can use it at a time but more convenient if you don’t feel like moving an external hard drive around from computer to computer.

12. WIl H October 25, 2009 at 9:15 am

Hi, i am a hobbyist at digital photography and an amateur. Your something like an inspiration…

As far as backing up goes, i purchase bare 2.5″ drives that i use with an external enclosure (thats not in its encosure). On top of that two gtech gdrives… The gdrives are whatever, but the bare drives, i can buy more than one that saves some money on buying externals (and saves space for my room).

I hear you do wedding work on your weekends. if you need some help (like free help) you should drop me an email. Im looking to learn more about photography, especially in a wedding type situation. Im more interested in working in the situation than getting paid for it so, let me know what you think if anything. Thanks!