Kani, Maldives

These photos were taken last year, however I never got a chance to edit them until now.  You might have seen the scenery photos from my old Xanga post.

The Maldives is definitely the furthest place I’ve traveled for a photo assignment. A Beijing couple was referred to me by an acquaintance and they wanted a “U.S. photographer” rather than the cheesy studio glamour photos. They found this island through a wedding convention in China. Kani is one of hundreds of tiny islands that form the Maldives in the middle of the Indian Ocean just south of India. You could consider this a “trash the dress” session, two years after they’ve been married.

All photos were taken with natural lighting, with a Canon 1D Mark IIN, 50mm, 24-70mm, and 70-200mm.

Yum!

14 Comments Kani, Maldives

1. kat November 11, 2008 at 10:20 am

Wow. I know I’ve seen your photos of this location before, but I still can’t get over how beautiful it is. I love the photos of the bunny ears, the bride looking into the water, the groom taking a photo of the bride, the dress billowing in the wind, and the bride immersed in water. That billowy dress is so Grecian goddess :).

2. kat November 11, 2008 at 10:24 am

Oh! I forgot the one where she looks like she’s walking on water. 😀

3. Sandra November 11, 2008 at 12:20 pm

nice location. i really like it when the bride gets into the water.

4. Tiffany November 11, 2008 at 5:32 pm

I love the shot of the shoes in front and the bed all blurry in the back. This place is gorgeous!

Loveeeee them silhouette photos!

These photos are perfection.

5. katie November 13, 2008 at 4:57 pm

Tony, which lense did you use to take the bride in the water picture?

6. Tony Yang November 14, 2008 at 12:25 am

katie: the last three water photos were taken with a 70-200mm.

7. Doan November 14, 2008 at 3:20 am

This is why I keep coming back to your website to look at your works. To me, your work tells a story. Your passion for this artform shows through in your photos. The secret moments between the two lovers were captured beautifully. Even though these are photos, there seems to be movement. Not a fast, driven, sporadic motion, but rather a soft, melodic, almost like a lover’s sigh. Your photos don’t seem like a stop in time, but rather a more introspective way of viewing time. It’s the slowing down and savoring every moment of life kind of motion. I have to say, this tenderness do tug at my heart a bit as I look at these pictures . Thank you for sharing your work with the world. Puts a smile on my face during a night of cramming for exams.

8. Jay Wen November 14, 2008 at 9:24 pm

Kani looks AMAZING. i can’t wait til you take my wedding photos 🙂

9. Matthew Saville November 15, 2008 at 3:21 am

Dude, you wanna come on our honeymoon with us, too? Haha I guess a tripod and self-timer will have to do…

=Matt=

10. Tanya D November 17, 2008 at 11:04 am

You know you would never know that you don’t love tropical climates, you do so well in them 😉

11. Ashlee January 18, 2009 at 3:18 am

Never have I felt so present by just looking at a photo, you just keep getting better!

12. john January 24, 2009 at 12:18 am

I really like this set.

13. Richard June 25, 2009 at 9:58 pm

hopefully you didn’t charge these people any money ….

14. Tony Yang June 26, 2009 at 12:32 am

why would you say that Richard?